Friday, November 15, 2013

Honesty is the best policy

"Honest By" collection - Hugo Boss










I'm not big into fashion, I'm sure anyone who knows me or even takes a look at me can see that. I follow trends and I like certain styles over others, but I definitely don't know what the latest, most trendy fashion statements are. This being said, all clothes - grungy, comfortable, professional, trendy, etc. - must go through the same process of creation. Everyone should know the story behind where the clothes came from. There have been so many situations and still are today, where factory workers are treated horribly, have terrible working condition, earn very little pay, and still have to perform their jobs day in and day out.

The following article describes how Hugo Boss, a very fashion-focused brand, created an entire collection called "Honest By" that has clothes that show the origin of the materials, their price, who made the product and how much money is made by each person along the supply chain.

Honest By: a fashion label built on total transparency

This is the direction every brand, clothing related or not, needs to take. The world needs to be informed about the products we are consuming and the services we are using. I often wonder if it is easier for an already well-established, successful brand to change their brand name and image rather than a new brand trying to enter the market. This was debated in my Marketing 380 class with Sandra Mottner fairly often. It is difficult to try and carve a place for a new brand in the market place where there are already plenty of well-trusted and effective products and services. All I can say is that Hugo Boss has the right idea as far as clothing companies are concerned and whether the company is well-established or brand new, each company should follow this lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment